If you have some free time and you want to go through a comprehensive article about the best meat to smoke, you are at the right place. It doesn’t really matter if you are a professional or a beginner; this article will surely help you find the best meat to smoke today in your offset smoker.
We will go through various types of meats and a short description of how you can smoke them.
Click To Jump Straight To Each Topic:
- BEST PORK TO SMOKE
- SMOKED PORK LOIN
- 3-2-1 SMOKED RIBS
- SMOKED PORK TENDERLOIN
- Best Meat To Smoke For Beginners
- SMOKED PORK RIBS
- SMOKED CHICKEN BREAST
- SMOKED CHICKEN WITH KANSAS CITY STYLE BBQ SAUCE
- SMOKED PORK CHOPS
- SMOKED STEAK: THE ULTIMATE GUIDE
- BEST BEEF TO SMOKE
- POOR MAN’S BURNT ENDS
- TEXAS STYLE SMOKED BEEF BRISKET
BEST PORK TO SMOKE
We have written some of the best pork recipes if you are willing to stick pork ribs on the smoker. Other recipes have clear instructions if you are interested in pork belly or a roast.
SMOKED PORK LOIN
Some of the essential things you need for this recipe are applewood, sweet rub, and loin pork. It’s a good idea when you have friends coming up for dinner.
The best way to get the best loin pork is to prep it perfectly at the start. You have to keep your smoker low. Follow the following steps to get the best pork.
- Keep the smoke up Take the temperature of the smoker to 225 degrees F. I have got the Broil King 958050 Offset Smoker, but you can use whatever you have.
- Trim to score the pork The excess fat needs to be trimmed immediately. Make use of a sharp knife to score through the fat. Make the cuts deeper so that the flavours reach the centre of the pork easily.
- Season the roast Then, use olive oil to create a coating around the cooked pork. Make sure it is fully coated. Sprinkle some sweet rub, and you are ready to smoke.
- Smoke After trimming and seasoning, you can place the trimmed porks’ parts on the grates of the smoker. Close the lid and wait for the smoker to have a temperature of 145 degrees F.
That’s all you need to do for the wonderful pork with magnificent flavour.
3-2-1 SMOKED RIBS
A foolproof method of cooking ribs is surely a 3-2-1 method. It falls right off the bone. If you follow the steps properly, you will have the most delicious taste ever. We guarantee you; you will get requests to cook the same recipe again and again.
You must be wondering why this recipe has a name like 3-2-1. Here is why.
- Smoke for 3 hours Seasons the ribs first. Then, expose these ribs to heavy smoke. But, it would be best if you took care of the temperature. It should be as low as possible. We prefer sweet woods if we have to smoke pork. But other woods like hickory are also suitable for smoking ribs.
- Wrap or 2 hours Foil the ribs using a liquid of your own choice. Though we prefer apple cider, you can also use a cup of dark brown sugar or butter. It’s time to cook the ribs for over 2 hours at a temperature of about 240 degrees F.
- Sauce and Smoke for an hour Lastly, use the sauce of your own taste. After putting sauce, get the ribs back on the grill for one last hour.
SMOKED PORK TENDERLOIN
A simple and easy recipe for smoked pork tenderloin has helped many users over the years. The best thing about this recipe is that you can change it a little bit as per your taste. People often smoke pork tenderloin on weekdays because it takes a little less time as compared to other recipes. It can help you gain some appreciation from a group of guests as well.
Here is how you go
- Firstly, you have to trim your pork. Before you season the pork, make use of a sharp knife to clear the fat from the pork you are about to smoke.
- Meanwhile, initiate your smoker and take its temperature to 225 degrees F.
- Then, the next step is to season the pork with your favourite flavour. Make use of sweet rub is our recommendation so you will get a delicious taste.
- Now, you have to smoke the pork by placing it on the grill and keeping the lid of the smoker shut. You have to smoke it until the temperature reaches 135 degrees F.
- Time to cover your pork with sauce. You can use your favourite BBQ sauce.
- Slice the pork and serve it.
Best Meat To Smoke For Beginners
If you have zero experience in cooking and smoking, don’t be hopeless. We are here to suggest some of the best meats you can smoke at any time. Generally, beginners scare themselves from smoking and cooking newly derived recipes. We have tried our best to explain the simplest recipes for our beginner fellows thoroughly.
SMOKED PORK RIBS
Due to the availability of many pitmasters, there are various methods to smoke pork ribs. Each of these pitmasters follows its own smoking style, but the essential thing is to figure out what you like. So, we have written a few basic steps for smoking pork ribs perfectly.
- Trim and season
- Keep the smoke going
- Choose a cooking method you like(We prefer the 3-2-1 method)
- Other methods include low and slow smoke and fast recipe.
- Invite your friends for a great meal.
SMOKED CHICKEN BREAST
Chicken Breast is juicy and smoky. It’s a great meal for busy weekdays, especially when you don’t have a lot of time to cook and smoke. Though this is an easy and straightforward process, you need to follow the steps carefully. It would be best if you had chicken, seasoning, and a little time to smoke it perfectly.
Here are a few instructions:
- Preheat your smoker
- Prepare the chicken
- Remove the chicken from the brine, pat dry, and drizzle with olive oil.
- Start smoking
SMOKED CHICKEN WITH KANSAS CITY STYLE BBQ SAUCE
This recipe is surely one of the most popular ones among Americans. Firstly, we smoke the chicken. Then, we slather it in a BBQ sauce. Though BBQ sauce is of Kansas City style, we keep it very normal for a better cook.
Some of the important instructions to follow are:
- Use the olive oil
- Don’t rub
- Get saucy
Before you start seasoning, put some olive oil on it. Then, smoke it at the lowest temperature. The lower temperature will melt the inner fat and create a lot of difference, especially taste-wise. Olive oil helps in keeping the skin of the meat moist.
Once you are done with olive oil, sprinkle the rub over the meat. Don’t try and rub while seasoning.
SMOKED PORK CHOPS
If you are too busy on weekdays and want to try a better and short cook, you must go for smoked pork chops. This is just a 90-minute recipe.
- Preheat your smoker
- Season the chops
- Smoke the pork chops
225 degrees F is a good temperature in this case. Use maple, applewood. Spray olive oil on all sides of the pork. Also, season it with rubs. Place the chops inside the cooking surface area of the smoker and smoke them until the internal temperature reaches 145
Tent them with foil after taking them out from the smoker. The dinner is perfectly ready.
SMOKED STEAK: THE ULTIMATE GUIDE
If you want to smoke steak, but you are not familiar with the basic steps to follow, we are here to describe each step.
- Fire up the smoker
- Season steaks
- Get smoky
- Preheat cast-iron skillet
- Sear steaks
- Rest and Serve
Initially, take your smoker’s temperature to 225. Keep the wood with you. Put it into the firebox as per requirement. Each wood should bring a separate flavour. Pat dry the steaks using a towel. Then, season it on all sides of steak. Though you have to use cracked black pepper for this purpose, it would not be difficult to find. For your information, kosher salt will generate the best flavour.
Then, use your smoker grates to place the steaks inside the cooking surface area—Preheat the skillet. Then, sear them for approximately 2 minutes per side. After pulling the steaks from the skillet, could you keep it safe for 10 minutes? Afterwards, you are ready to serve.
BEST BEEF TO SMOKE
Here are some of the very best recipes you would like to cook if you have beef. Smoker and beef have a serious relationship—a great combination of small and even large parties.
POOR MAN’S BURNT ENDS
If you do not want to smoke a whole brisket, this recipe is for you. Following the instructions, you can smoke a chuck roast in less time compared to smoking a whole brisket. The flavour of this delicious chuck will blow your mind.
Here are the simplest steps you need to follow to get what you plan for.
- Preheat, the smoker to 275 degrees F., Make use of hickory wood for this purpose.
- Then, you have to season it properly. Salt, pepper, and garlic powder are necessary things you need to season burnt ends.
- Afterwards, you have to smoke it. You have to keep smoking it unless and until the temperature of the smoker reaches 160 degrees F. When I tried it, it took almost 5 hours to reach that temperature. So, you need to adjust the smoking time.
- Then, it is time to wrap the roast. Wrap it in butcher pepper. Smoke it again till the temperature reaches 190 degrees F.
- The remaining steps are easier. Rest your roast first. Then, cut it as per your requirements. Now, it is time to season again.
- You have to take the pan to the grill to smoke it for another 2 hours.
- The last touches are significant. Sprinkle brown sugar over your roast with the help of 2 tablespoons. Also, please make use of BBQ sauce so that it may have a much better taste than you expect.
Please keep it on the grill for a few more minutes and then serve the hot stuff.
TEXAS STYLE SMOKED BEEF BRISKET
A fully detailed recipe of beef brisket is available here. All you need is a little extra time and follow the following instructions specially written here. You will get a tasteful beef smoked using a random smoker.
Tools you need to smoke a beef brisket.
- Large cutting board
- Butcher Pepper
- A knife
- Select your Brisket
- Trim it
- Season your brisket
- Keep smoking it
- Wrap it
- Rest the smoked brisket
- Slice it
- Serve it
You don’t have to skip a single step, especially resting the brisket.
This is Lionel Andres. I am the Co-Founder of theoffsetsmoker.com. After a deep interest in cooking, especially BBQ, I decided to learn every bit of it. I am a BBQ lover, and in the past few years, grilling becomes my hobby. In this blog, I am sharing my reviews and experiences of the equipment which we personally use. I hope you will enjoy the journey.